You know that chicken, beef, pork, and seafood- really, all animal protein have fat laced inside the meat, right?! A piece of animal protein isn't 100% "protein". About 1/4 (or more) of a piece of meat is usually fat.
So often we eat mindlessly. We stuff food into our mouths while working on the computer, watching TV, or on the run. The pleasure of eating lies in slowing down and fully experiencing all of the elements of food. Take some time to explore each of the following during your next meal and notice the difference.
Practical tips on how to create and sustain a robust immune system this season and beyond!
The season is changing and the temperature is cooling as we enter into the drier seasons of the year. Which means our immune system will require some extra attention.
It can be scary to think about getting sick/flu with flu shot stations everywhere on the background. It's enough to drive us running to our local clinics/grocery stores or even airports for a flu shot!
Enjoy diversity, Eat variously, & Alternate bi-monthly!
• Apples, pears, frozen grapes
• sweet potato chips
• nuts and seeds: pine, macadamia, almonds, pumpkin/sunflower seeds, etc.plain carrots: particularly the super sweet, organic baby carrots
• crunchy crudités of veggies and dip (hummus, tabouli, vinaigrette, favorite dressing)
• celery and almond/sunflower butter or tahini (use non-hydrogenated butter)
• hummus with whole GF toast, carrots, celery, cucumber,daikon,greens,seaweed sheets
What is Heartburn?
There are many types of heartburn, but most commonly the acid burning feeling is part of a condition known as GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease). This is caused by stomach acid building up in the stomach and refluxing or moving up into the esophagus, irritating the esophageal lining. This can cause burning, an acid taste in the mouth, coughing, wheezing, hoarseness, ulcers, cancer and/or pain.
GERD is a chronic problem.
The body is amazing. It knows when to go to sleep, wake up, go to the bathroom, maintain 98.6 degrees, and tighten the eyes when the light gets bright. It knows the miracle of pregnancy and childbirth. Your heart never misses a beat. Your lungs are always breathing. The body is a super-computer, and it never makes mistakes.
Sometimes, I feel that my life is a series of trapeze swings. I'm either hanging on to a trapeze bar swinging along or, for a few moments, I'm hurdling across space between the trapeze bars.
Mostly, I spend my time hanging on for dear life to the trapeze bar of the moment. It carries me along a certain steady rate of swing and I have the feeling that I'm in control. I know most of the right questions, and even some of the right answers. But once in a while, as I'm merrily, or not so merrily, swinging along, I look ahead of me into the distance, and what do I see?
1. Controlled Focus: Concentration techniques involve the most mental effort or cognitive control. Meditations such as Zen, Compassion, Qigong, Kundalini Yoga and Vipassana involve concentration and control of the mind. The brain wave pattern characteristic of such “externally” focused practices is called gamma (20-50 Hz). Indeed, gamma waves are seen whenever we focus our attention, even outside of meditation.